Saturday, April 13, 2013

true champions | mind over matter

We become champions when we rise to the challenge
- regardless of where our physical bodies take us. 


I haven't been able to go for a long run since April 3rd.  A few hours after I had finished my 17km run I realized that I had hurt my left foot. My knee also started to hurt again. Reluctantly, I gave running a break for a week and a half.  Yesterday I thought I was ready. I was pumped! But, one thing led to the next and now I have a blood blister at the bottom of my toe!  
Another. break. required. 
Sporting injuries seem to be popping up all around. A close friend of mine is struggling with her knee too. And, Kobe Bryant has torn his Achilles tendon and will be on the bench for months.  The default reaction for an athlete in these situations is most often frustration.  The frustration expressed by Kobe Bryant in his Facebook status update is undeniable.  
There is a perplexing dichotomy when it comes to our bodies.  On the one hand, the onus is on us to eat well, sleep well, hydrate and exercise well.  Our bodies adapt quickly, and if we give them the right attention, we believe positive changes are guaranteed.  Our actions determine the result.  
On the other hand, when we are injured, our bodies will take their own time to heal.  They decide when it's time to go back to normal - if ever. This state of affairs can be extremely discouraging.  "How can this happen? How can things get worse especially when I am doing everything right?" We feel like we don't know our own bodies - they become foreign to us. We are upset.  We feel helpless.  Confused.  
While sickness might make us realize that we have no control over our bodies, I think it should also remind us how much power we really do possess internally.  An injury can be a huge setback.  It can make us miserable. But, that's only if we let it.  While we may not be able to speed the body's physical path to healing, we can choose to take control over our mindset; to reorient our perspective; and to have faith that there is some Divine wisdom behind the occurrence.  That choice to be positive in a negative situation is ours, and ours alone. It's much easier said than done (trust me I know, I'm struggling with this myself!) but when we get there, I think that is the point we are transformed from ego-driven athletes to mature-humble athletes.  
A true champion is one that rises above negative circumstances and sees the light...they will search for the silver lining even if everything around is dark. A true champion knows their own potential - and knows that their potential is at a plain higher than any limitations imposed by physical ailments.  In fact, we become champions when we rise to the challenge - regardless of where our physical bodies take us. 

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home